Pronunciation: (sil'ē), [key]
—adj., -li•er, -li•est,
—n., pl. -lies.
1. weak-minded or lacking good sense; stupid or foolish: a silly writer.
2. absurd; ridiculous; irrational: a silly idea.
3. stunned; dazed: He knocked me silly.
4. Cricket.(of a fielder or the fielder's playing position) extremely close to the batsman's wicket: silly mid off.
5. Archaic.rustic; plain; homely.
6. Archaic.weak; helpless.
7. Obs.lowly in rank or state; humble.
Informal.a silly or foolish person: Don't be such a silly.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.