Pronunciation: (sich"OO-ā'shun), [key]
1. manner of being situated; location or position with reference to environment: The situation of the house allowed for a beautiful view.
2. a place or locality.
3. condition; case; plight: He is in a desperate situation.
4. the state of affairs; combination of circumstances: The present international situation is dangerous.
5. a position or post of employment; job.
6. a state of affairs of special or critical significance in the course of a play, novel, etc.
7. Sociol.the aggregate of biological, psychological, and sociocultural factors acting on an individual or group to condition behavioral patterns.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.