Pronunciation: (skim'ur), [key]
1. a person or thing that skims.
2. a shallow utensil, usually perforated, used in skimming liquids.
3. any of several gull-like birds of the family Rynchopidae, that skim the water with the elongated lower mandible immersed while in search of food.
4. a stiff, wide-brimmed hat with a shallow flat crown, usually made of straw.
5. a woman's A-line dress with side darts that shape it slightly to the body.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.