Pronunciation: (slop'ē), [key]
—adj., -pi•er, -pi•est.
1. muddy, slushy, or very wet: The field was a sloppy mess after the rain.
2. splashed or soiled with liquid.
3. careless; loose: sloppy writing.
4. untidy; slovenly: sloppy clothes; a sloppy eater.
5. overly emotional; gushy: sloppy sentimentality.
6. (of food or drink) prepared or served in an unappetizing way.
7. (of clothes) loose-fitting; baggy: a big, sloppy sweater.
8. (of the surface of a racetrack) wet from a recent or continuing heavy rain and containing puddles and mud still too thin and watery to be sticky.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.