Pronunciation: (snif), [key]
1. to draw air through the nose in short, audible inhalations.
2. to clear the nose by so doing; sniffle.
3. to smell by short inhalations.
4. to show disdain, contempt, etc., by or as by sniffing.
1. to perceive by or as by smelling: to sniff a scandal.
2. to inhale through the nose: to sniff the air.
1. an act of sniffing; a single, short, audible inhalation.
2. the sound made by such an act.
3. a scent or odor perceived: a sniff of perfume.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.