Pronunciation: (sōp), [key]
1. a substance used for washing and cleansing purposes, usually made by treating a fat with an alkali, as sodium or potassium hydroxide, and consisting chiefly of the sodium or potassium salts of the acids contained in the fat.
2. any metallic salt of an acid derived from a fat.
3. Slang.money, esp. as used for bribery in politics.
4. Slang. Also,soaper.See soap opera.
5. no soap, Informal.no go: He wanted me to vote for him, but I told him no soap.
to rub, cover, lather, or treat with soap.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.