Pronunciation: (sok), [key]
—pl. socks or, for 1, also sox.
1. a short stocking usually reaching to the calf or just above the ankle.
2. a lightweight shoe worn by ancient Greek and Roman comic actors.
3. comic writing for the theater; comedy or comic drama. Cf. buskin (def. 4).
4. Furniture.a raised vertical area of a club or pad foot.
5. knock one's or the socks off. See knock (def. 20).
Pronunciation: (sok), [key] Slang.
1. to strike or hit hard.
2. sock away,to put into savings or reserve.
3. sock in,to close or ground because of adverse weather conditions: The airport was socked in.
1. a hard blow.
2. a very successful show, performance, actor, etc.: The show was a sock.
extremely successful: a sock performance.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.