Pronunciation: (sol'um), [key]
1. grave, sober, or mirthless, as a person, the face, speech, tone, or mood: solemn remarks.
2. gravely or somberly impressive; causing serious thoughts or a grave mood: solemn music.
3. serious or earnest: solemn assurances.
4. characterized by dignified or serious formality, as proceedings; of a formal or ceremonious character: a solemn occasion.
5. made in due legal or other express form, as a declaration or agreement: a solemn oath.
6. marked or observed with religious rites; having a religious character: a solemn holy day.
7. uttered, prescribed, or made according to religious forms: a solemn ban on sacrifice.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.