Pronunciation: (sol'um-nīz"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/solemnize.html on line 77 [key]
—v., -nized, -niz•ing.
1. to perform the ceremony of (marriage).
2. to hold or perform (ceremonies, rites, etc.) in due manner.
3. to observe or commemorate with rites or ceremonies: to solemnize an occasion with prayer.
4. to go through with ceremony or formality.
5. to render solemn, serious, or grave; dignify.
to become solemn; conduct oneself with solemnity. Also, esp. Brit.,sol'em•nise".
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.