Pronunciation: (sol'i-târ"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/solitaire.html on line 71 [key]
1. Also called patience. any of various games played by one person with one or more regular 52-card packs, part or all of which are usually dealt out according to a given pattern, the object being to arrange the cards in a predetermined manner.
2. a game played by one person alone, as a game played with marbles or pegs on a board having hollows or holes.
3. a precious stone, esp. a diamond, set by itself, as in a ring.
4. any of several American thrushes of the genus Myadestes, having short, broad bills and noted for their beautiful songs.
5. a large extinct flightless bird of the genus Pezophaps, related to the dodo but with a longer neck, smaller bill, and longer legs, that inhabited the Mascarene Islands.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.