1. a person of Latin-American descent living in the U.S.
2. a person of Spanish descent living in the U.S.
3. a native or inhabitant of a Spanish-American country.
Pronunciation: (span'ish-u-mer'i-kun), [key]
1. noting or pertaining to the parts of America where Spanish is the prevailing language.
2. pertaining to Spain and America, sometimes to Spain and the United States: an example of Spanish-American cooperation.
3. of or pertaining to the natives or inhabitants of Spanish America, esp. those of Spanish descent.
4. of or pertaining to persons of Latin-American descent living in the U.S.
5. of or pertaining to persons of Spanish descent living in the U.S.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.