Pronunciation: (spes"u-fi-kā'shun), [key]
1. the act of specifying.
2. Usually, specifications. a detailed description or assessment of requirements, dimensions, materials, etc., as of a proposed building, machine, bridge, etc.
3. a particular item, aspect, calculation, etc., in such a description.
4. something specified, as in a bill of particulars; a specified particular, item, or article.
5. an act of making specific.
6. the state of having a specific character.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.