Pronunciation: (spend), [key]
—v., spent, spend•ing.
1. to pay out, disburse, or expend; dispose of (money, wealth, resources, etc.): resisting the temptation to spend one's money.
2. to employ (labor, thought, words, time, etc.), as on some object or in some proceeding: Don't spend much time on it.
3. to pass (time) in a particular manner, place, etc.: We spent a few days in Baltimore.
4. to use up, consume, or exhaust: The storm had spent its fury.
5. to give (one's blood, life, etc.) for some cause.
1. to spend money, energy, time, etc.
2. Obs.to be consumed or exhausted.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.