Pronunciation: (splin'tur), [key]
1. a small, thin, sharp piece of wood, bone, or the like, split or broken off from the main body.
2. See splinter group.
1. to split or break into splinters.
2. to break off (something) in splinters.
3. to split or break (a larger group) into separate factions or independent groups.
4. Obs.to secure or support by a splint or splints, as a broken limb.
1. to be split or broken into splinters.
2. to break off in splinters.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.