Pronunciation: (spun'jē), [key]
—adj., -gi•er, -gi•est.
1. of the nature of or resembling a sponge; light, porous, and elastic or readily compressible, as pith or bread.
2. having the absorbent characteristics of a sponge; absorbing or holding liquid or yielding liquid when pressed.
3. of or pertaining to a sponge.
4. lacking in firmness or solidity: spongy wood; a spongy feeling from the car brakes.
5. moist and soft; soggy: spongy ground.
6. porous but hard, as bone.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.