1. a representation of an eagle with outspread wings: used as an emblem of the U.S.
2. an acrobatic figure in skating performed by making a glide with the skates touching heel-to-heel in a straight line and with the arms outstretched.
3. an acrobatic stunt in ski jumping executed with the legs and arms widely outstretched to the sides.
Pronunciation: (spred'ē"gul), [key]
—adj., v., -gled, -gling.
1. having or suggesting the form of a spread eagle.
2. lying prone with arms and legs outstretched.
3. boastful or bombastic, esp. in the display of patriotic or nationalistic pride in the U.S.
to stretch out (something) in the manner of a spread eagle.
to assume the position or perform the acrobatic figure of a spread eagle: The skater spread-eagled across the rink.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.