Pronunciation: (spûrt), [key]
1. to gush or issue suddenly in a stream or jet, as a liquid; spout.
2. to show marked, usually increased, activity or energy for a short period: The runners spurted forward in the last lap of the race.
to expel or force out suddenly in a stream or jet, as a liquid; spout.
1. a sudden, forceful gush or jet.
2. a marked increase of effort for a short period or distance, as in running, rowing, etc.
3. a sudden burst or outburst, as of activity, energy, or feeling. Also,spirt.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.