Pronunciation: (stag), [key]
—n., v., stagged, stag•ging,
1. an adult male deer.
2. the male of various other animals.
3. a man who attends a social gathering unaccompanied by a woman.
4. Informal.See stag party.
5. a swine or bull castrated after maturation of the sex organs.
6. Brit.a speculator who buys securities of a new issue in the hope of selling them quickly at a higher price.
Informal.(of a man) to attend a social function without a female companion.
1. of or for men only: a stag dinner.
2. intended for male audiences and usually pornographic in content: a stag show.
without a companion or date: to go stag to a dance.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.