Pronunciation: (stand'up"), [key]
1. standing erect or upright, as a collar.
2. performed, taken, etc., while one stands: a stand-up meal.
3. designed for or requiring a standing position: a stand-up lunch counter.
4. (of a fight) characterized by the rapid exchange of many blows with little attention given to defensive maneuvering.
5. characterized by an erect or bold stance: a stand-up batter who hits many doubles.
6. Baseball.(of a double or triple) pertaining to a hit that allows the hitter to reach the base safely without having to slide.
7. (of a comedian) delivering a comic monologue while alone on the stage. Also,stand'up".
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.