Pronunciation: (stärch), [key]
1. a white, tasteless, solid carbohydrate, (C6H10O5)n, occurring in the form of minute granules in the seeds, tubers, and other parts of plants, and forming an important constituent of rice, corn, wheat, beans, potatoes, and many other vegetable foods.
2. a commercial preparation of this substance used to stiffen textile fabrics in laundering.
3. starches,foods rich in natural starch.
4. stiffness or formality, as of manner: He is so full of starch he can't relax.
5. Informal.vigor; energy; stamina; boldness.
1. to stiffen or treat with starch.
2. to make stiff or rigidly formal (sometimes fol. by up).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.