Pronunciation: (stärk), [key]
—adj., -er, -est,
1. sheer, utter, downright, or complete: stark madness.
2. harsh, grim, or desolate, as a view, place, etc.: a stark landscape.
3. extremely simple or severe: a stark interior.
4. bluntly or sternly plain; not softened or glamorized: the stark reality of the schedule's deadline.
5. stiff or rigid in substance, muscles, etc.
6. rigid in death.
7. Archaic.strong; powerful; massive or robust.
1. utterly, absolutely, or quite: stark mad.
2. Chiefly Scot. and North Eng.in a stark manner; stoutly or vigorously.
Pronunciation: (stärk; for 2 also Ger. shtärk), [key]
1. Harold Rayns•ford Pronunciation: (rānz'furd), [key] 1880–1972, U.S. admiral.
2. Jo•han•nes Pronunciation: (yō-hä'nus), [key] 1874–1957, German physicist: Nobel prize 1919.
3. John, 1728–1822, American Revolutionary War general.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.