Pronunciation: (stär'tur), [key]
1. a person or thing that starts.
2. a person who gives the signal to begin, as for a race, the running of a train, bus, elevator, etc.
3. a device that starts an internal-combustion engine without a need for cranking by hand.
4. a person or thing that starts in a race or contest: Only five starters finished the race.
5. a culture of bacteria used to start a particular fermentation, as in the manufacture of cheese, buttermilk, sour cream, etc.
6. Cookery.sourdough (def. 1).
7. Slang.a shill, as at a gaming table in a casino.
8. Cribbage.the card turned face up on the stack before the play.
9. for starters, Informal.as the first step or part; initially; first: We will have soup for starters. For starters, he doesn't even know how to drive.
constituting a basis or beginning: a starter set of dishes; a starter home.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.