Pronunciation: (stēm'rō"lur), [key]
1. a heavy steam-powered vehicle having a roller for crushing, compacting, or leveling materials used for a road or the like.
2. (not in technical use) any similar vehicle with a roller.
3. an overpowering force, esp. one that crushes all opposition with ruthless disregard for individual rights.
1. to crush or flatten with a steamroller.
2. to overcome with superior force: to steamroller the competition.
3. to bring about the adoption of by overwhelming pressure: to steamroller the resolution through.
to proceed with implacable force.
suggestive of a steamroller; ruthlessly overpowering: steamroller tactics.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.