Pronunciation: (stīn), [key]
1. a mug, usually earthenware, esp. for beer.
2. the quantity of beer or other liquid contained in a stein.
Pronunciation: (stīn for 1, 3; shtīn for 2), [key]
1. Gertrude, 1874–1946, U.S. author in France.
2. Hein•rich Frie•drich Karl Pronunciation: (hīn'rikh frē'drikh kärl), [key] Baron vom und zum Pronunciation: (fôm oont tsoom), [key]1757–1831, German statesman.
3. William Howard, 1911–80, U.S. biochemist: Nobel prize for chemistry 1972.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.