Pronunciation: (ster'ē-ō", stēr'-), [key]
—n., pl. ster•e•os,
1. stereoscopic photography.
2. a stereoscopic photograph.
3. stereophonic sound reproduction.
4. a system or the equipment for reproducing stereophonic sound.
5. Print.stereotype (defs. 1, 2).
pertaining to stereophonic sound, stereoscopic photography, etc.
Print.stereotype (def. 5).
a combining form borrowed from Greek, where it meant “solid”, used with reference to hardness, solidity, three-dimensionality in the formation of compound words: stereochemistry; stereogram; stereoscope. Also, esp. before a vowel,stere-.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.