Pronunciation: (stOO'urd, styOO'-), [key]
1. a person who manages another's property or financial affairs; one who administers anything as the agent of another or others.
2. a person who has charge of the household of another, buying or obtaining food, directing the servants, etc.
3. an employee who has charge of the table, wine, servants, etc., in a club, restaurant, or the like.
4. a person who attends to the domestic concerns of persons on board a vessel, as in overseeing maids and waiters.
5. an employee on a ship, train, or bus who waits on and is responsible for the comfort of passengers, takes orders for or distributes food, etc.
6. a flight attendant.
7. a person appointed by an organization or group to supervise the affairs of that group at certain functions.
8. U.S. Navy.a petty officer in charge of officer's quarters and mess.
to act as steward of; manage.
to act or serve as steward.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.