Pronunciation: (stop'ur), [key]
1. a person or thing that stops.
2. a plug, cork, bung, or other piece for closing a bottle, tube, drain, or the like.
3. Informal.something or someone that commands attention, as an unusual window display or a flamboyant person.
4. Cards.a card in a suit that prevents the successive taking of all tricks in the suit by the opponents.
5. Baseball Slang.a formidably and consistently effective pitcher counted on to win, as a team's best starting pitcher or a superior reliever often called on to preserve a victory; pitching ace.
to close, secure, or fit with a stopper.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.