Pronunciation: (strāt), [key]
1. Often, straits. (used with a sing. v.) a narrow passage of water connecting two large bodies of water.
2. Often, straits. a position of difficulty, distress, or need: Ill and penniless, he was in sad straits indeed.
3. Archaic.a narrow passage or area.
4. an isthmus.
1. narrow: Strait is the gate.
2. affording little space; confined in area.
3. strict, as in requirements or principles.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.