Pronunciation: (strikt), [key]
—adj., -er, -est.
1. characterized by or acting in close conformity to requirements or principles: a strict observance of rituals.
2. stringent or exacting in or in enforcing rules, requirements, obligations, etc.: strict laws; a strict judge.
3. closely or rigorously enforced or maintained: strict silence.
4. exact or precise: a strict statement of facts.
5. extremely defined or conservative; narrowly or carefully limited: a strict construction of the Constitution.
6. close, careful, or minute: a strict search.
7. absolute, perfect, or complete; utmost: told in strict confidence.
8. stern; severe; austere: strict parents.
9. Obs.drawn tight or close.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.