Pronunciation: (stud), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/stud.html on line 77 [key]
—n., v., stud•ded, stud•ding,
1. a boss, knob, nailhead, or other protuberance projecting from a surface or part, esp. as an ornament.
2. any of various buttonlike, usually ornamental objects, mounted on a shank that is passed through an article of clothing to fasten it: a collar stud.
3. any of a number of slender, upright members of wood, steel, etc., forming the frame of a wall or partition and covered with plasterwork, siding, etc.
4. any of various projecting pins, lugs, or the like, on machines or other implements.
5. Auto.any of a large number of small projecting lugs embedded in an automobile tire (studded tire) to improve traction on snowy or icy roads.
6. an earring consisting of a small, buttonlike ornament mounted on a metal post designed to pass through a pierced ear lobe.
7. Horol.the piece to which the fixed end of a hairspring is attached.
1. to set with or as if with studs, bosses, or the like: The leather-covered door was studded with brass nails.
2. (of things) to be scattered over the expanse or surface of: Stars stud the sky.
3. to set or scatter (objects) at intervals over an expanse or surface: to stud raisins over a cake.
4. to furnish with or support by studs.
ornamented with rivets, nailheads, or other buttonlike, usually metallic objects: a stud belt.
Pronunciation: (stud), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/stud.html on line 159 [key]
1. a studhorse or stallion.
2. an establishment, as a farm, in which horses are kept for breeding.
3. a number of horses, usually for racing or hunting, bred or kept by one owner.
4. a male animal, as a bull or ram, kept for breeding.
5. a herd of animals kept for breeding.
6. Slang.a man, esp. one who is notably virile and sexually active.
7. Poker.See stud poker.
8. at or in stud, (of a male animal) offered for the purpose of breeding.
1. of, associated with, or pertaining to a studhorse or studhorses.
2. retained for breeding purposes.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.