Pronunciation: (sub-mûrj'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/submerge.html on line 75 [key]
—v., -merged, -merg•ing.
1. to put or sink below the surface of water or any other enveloping medium.
2. to cover or overflow with water; immerse.
3. to cover; bury; subordinate; suppress: His aspirations were submerged by the necessity of making a living.
1. to sink or plunge under water or beneath the surface of any enveloping medium.
2. to be covered or lost from sight.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.