Pronunciation: (su-mā'shun), [key]
1. the act or process of summing.
2. the result of this; an aggregate or total.
3. a review or recapitulation of previously stated facts or statements, often with a final conclusion or conclusions drawn from them.
4. Law.the final arguments of opposing attorneys before a case goes to the jury.
5. Physiol.the arousal of impulses by a rapid succession of stimuli, carried either by separate sensory neurons (spatial summation) or by the same sensory neuron (temporal summation).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.