Pronunciation: (sOO"pur-fish'ul), [key]
1. being at, on, or near the surface: a superficial wound.
2. of or pertaining to the surface: superficial measurement.
3. external or outward: a superficial resemblance.
4. concerned with or comprehending only what is on the surface or obvious: a superficial observer.
5. shallow; not profound or thorough: a superficial writer.
6. apparent rather than real.
7. insubstantial or insignificant: superficial improvements.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.