Pronunciation: (sOO"pur-nach'ur-ul, -nach'rul), [key]
1. of, pertaining to, or being above or beyond what is natural; unexplainable by natural law or phenomena; abnormal.
2. of, pertaining to, characteristic of, or attributed to God or a deity.
3. of a superlative degree; preternatural: a missile of supernatural speed.
4. of, pertaining to, or attributed to ghosts, goblins, or other unearthly beings; eerie; occult.
1. a being, place, object, occurrence, etc., considered as supernatural or of supernatural origin; that which is supernatural, or outside the natural order.
2. behavior supposedly caused by the intervention of supernatural beings.
3. direct influence or action of a deity on earthly affairs.
4. the supernatural,
a. supernatural beings, behavior, and occurrences collectively.
b. supernatural forces and the supernatural plane of existence: a deep fear of the supernatural.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.