Pronunciation: (su-presh'un), [key]
1. the act of suppressing.
2. the state of being suppressed.
3. Psychoanal.conscious inhibition of an impulse.
4. Bot.the absence of parts normally or usually present due to the action of frost, disease, or insects.
5. Radio, Electronics.the elimination of a component of a varying emission, as the elimination of a frequency or group of frequencies from a signal.
6. Elect.the reduction or elimination of irregular current oscillations or frequencies in a circuit.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.