Pronunciation: (sûrf), [key]
1. the swell of the sea that breaks upon a shore or upon shoals.
2. the mass or line of foamy water caused by the breaking of the sea upon a shore, esp. a shallow or sloping shore.
1. to ride a surfboard.
2. to float on the crest of a wave toward shore.
3. to swim, play, or bathe in the surf.
4. to search haphazardly, as for information on a computer network or an interesting program on television.
1. to ride a surfboard on: We surfed every big wave in sight.
2. to search through (a computer network or TV channels) for information or entertainment.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.