Pronunciation: (sur-mount'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/surmount.html on line 79 [key]
1. to mount upon; get on the top of; mount upon and cross over: to surmount a hill.
2. to get over or across (barriers, obstacles, etc.).
3. to prevail over: to surmount tremendous difficulties.
4. to be on top of or above: a statue surmounting a pillar.
5. to furnish with something placed on top or above: to surmount a tower with a spire.
a. to surpass in excellence.
b. to exceed in amount.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.