Pronunciation: (sur-vā'ur), [key]
1. a person whose occupation is surveying.
2. an overseer or supervisor.
3. Chiefly Brit.a person who inspects something officially for the purpose of ascertaining condition, value, etc.
4. (formerly) a U.S. customs official responsible for ascertaining the quantity and value of imported merchandise.
5. (cap.) U.S. Aerospace.one of a series of space probes (1966–68) that analyzed lunar soil and obtained other scientific information after soft-landing on the moon.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.