Pronunciation: (sur-vīv'), [key]
—v., -vived, -viv•ing.
1. to remain alive after the death of someone, the cessation of something, or the occurrence of some event; continue to live: Few survived after the holocaust.
2. to remain or continue in existence or use: Ancient farming methods still survive in the Middle East.
3. to get along or remain healthy, happy, and unaffected in spite of some occurrence: She's surviving after the divorce.
1. to continue to live or exist after the death, cessation, or occurrence of: His wife survived him. He survived the operation.
2. to endure or live through (an affliction, adversity, misery, etc.): She's survived two divorces.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.