Pronunciation: (swīp), [key]
—n., v., swiped, swip•ing.
1. a strong, sweeping blow, as with a cricket bat or golf club.
2. Informal.a swing of the arm in order to strike somebody; punch.
3. a sideswipe.
4. Informal.a critical or cutting remark.
5. a leverlike device for raising or lowering a weight, esp. a bucket in a well; sweep.
6. Horse Racing.a person who rubs down horses in a stable; groom.
1. to strike with a sweeping blow.
2. Informal.to steal: He'll swipe anything that isn't nailed down.
to make a sweeping stroke.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.