Pronunciation: (swiv'ul), [key]
—n., v., -eled, -el•ing or (esp. Brit.) -elled, -el•ling.
1. a fastening device that allows the thing fastened to turn around freely upon it, esp. to turn in a full circle.
2. such a device consisting of two parts, each of which turns around independently, as a compound link of a chain, one part of which turns freely in the other by means of a headed pin or the like.
3. a pivoted support allowing a gun to turn around in a horizontal plane.
4. a swivel gun.
5. a device attached to a loom and used as a shuttle to weave extra threads in the production of small figures, esp. dots.
1. to turn or pivot on or as if on a swivel: He swiveled his chair around.
2. to fasten by a swivel; furnish with a swivel.
to turn on or if as on a swivel.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.