Pronunciation: (sim-bol'ik), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/symbolic.html on line 75 [key]
1. serving as a symbol of something (often fol. by of).
2. of, pertaining to, or expressed by a symbol.
3. characterized by or involving the use of symbols: a highly symbolic poem.
4. (in semantics, esp. formerly) pertaining to a class of words that express only relations. Cf. notional (def. 7).
5. Computers.expressed in characters, usually nonnumeric, that require translation before they can be used (opposed to absolute). Also,sym•bol'i•cal (for defs. 1–4).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.