Pronunciation: (sim-pō'zē-um), [key]
—pl. -si•ums, -si•aPronunciation: (-zē-u). [key]
1. a meeting or conference for the discussion of some subject, esp. a meeting at which several speakers talk on or discuss a topic before an audience.
2. a collection of opinions expressed or articles contributed by several persons on a given subject or topic.
3. an account of a discussion meeting or of the conversation at it.
4. (in ancient Greece and Rome) a convivial meeting, usually following a dinner, for drinking and intellectual conversation.
5. (cap., italics) a philosophical dialogue (4th centuryb.c.) by Plato, dealing with ideal love and the vision of absolute beauty.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.