Pronunciation: (sin'thu-sis), [key]
—pl. -sesPronunciation: (-sēz"). [key]
1. the combining of the constituent elements of separate material or abstract entities into a single or unified entity (opposed to analysis).
2. a complex whole formed by combining.
3. Chem.the forming or building of a more complex substance or compound from elements or simpler compounds.
4. Philos.See under Hegelian dialectic.
5. Biol.See modern synthesis.
6. Psychol., Psychiatry.the integration of traits, attitudes, and impulses to create a total personality.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.