Pronunciation: (sir'up, sûr'-), [key]
1. any of various thick, sweet liquids prepared for table use from molasses, glucose, etc., water, and often a flavoring agent.
2. any of various preparations consisting of fruit juices, water, etc., boiled with sugar: raspberry syrup.
3. Pharm.a concentrated sugar solution that contains medication or flavoring.
4. See simple syrup.
1. to bring to the form or consistency of syrup.
2. to cover, fill, or sweeten with syrup. Also,sirup.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.