Pronunciation: (tā'king), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/taking.html on line 73 [key]
1. the act of a person or thing that takes.
2. the state of being taken.
3. something that is taken.
4. an action by the federal government, such as a regulatory ruling, that results in a reduction in the value of private property.
5. takings,receipts, esp. of money earned or gained.
6. Archaic.a state of agitation or distress.
1. captivating, winning, or pleasing.
2. Archaic.infectious or contagious.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.