Pronunciation: (tap), [key]
—v., tapped, tap•ping,
1. to strike with a light but audible blow or blows; hit with repeated, slight blows: He tapped the door twice.
2. to make, put, etc., by tapping: to tap a nail into a wall.
3. to strike (the fingers, a foot, a pencil, etc.) upon or against something, esp. with repeated light blows: Stop tapping your feet!
4. Basketball.to strike (a ball in the air) in the direction of a teammate or of the basket.
5. to enter information or produce copy by tapping on a keyboard: to tap data into a computer; to tap out a magazine article.
6. to add a thickness of leather to the sole or heel of (a boot or shoe), as in repairing.
1. to strike lightly but audibly, as to attract attention.
2. to strike light blows.
3. to tap-dance.
1. a light but audible blow: a tap on the shoulder.
2. the sound made by this.
3. a piece of metal attached to the toe or heel of a shoe, as for reinforcement or for making the tapping of a dancer more audible.
4. Basketball.an act or instance of tapping the ball: Hanson got the tap from our center, who, 6prime;9" tall, couldn't lose a jump ball.
5. a thickness of leather added to the sole or heel of a boot or shoe, as in repairing.
Pronunciation: (tap), [key]
—n., v., tapped, tap•ping.
1. a cylindrical stick, long plug, or stopper for closing an opening through which liquid is drawn, as in a cask; spigot.
2. a faucet or cock.
3. the liquor drawn through a particular tap.
4. Brit.a taphouse or taproom.
5. a tool for cutting screw threads into the cylindrical surface of a round opening.
6. Surg.the withdrawal of fluid: spinal tap.
7. a hole made in tapping, as one in a pipe to furnish connection for a branch pipe.
8. Elect.a connection brought out of a winding at some point between its extremities, for controlling the voltage ratio.
9. Informal.an act or instance of wiretapping.
10. Archaic.a particular kind or quality of drink.
11. on tap,
a. ready to be drawn and served, as liquor from a cask.
b. furnished with a tap or cock, as a barrel containing liquor.
c. Informal.ready for immediate use; available: There are numerous other projects on tap.
1. to draw liquid from (a vessel or container).
2. to draw off (liquid) by removing or opening a tap or by piercing a container.
3. to draw the tap or plug from or pierce (a cask or other container).
4. to penetrate, open up, reach into, etc., for the purpose of using something or drawing something off; begin to use: to tap one's resources.
5. to connect into secretly so as to receive the message or signal being transmitted: to tap a telephone wire or telephone.
6. to furnish (a cask, container, pipe, etc.) with a tap.
7. to cut a screw thread into the surface of (an opening).
8. to open outlets from (power lines, highways, pipes, etc.).
9. tap into, Informal.to gain access to; become friendly with: The candidate tapped into some wealthy supporters.
10. tap off,to remove (liquid, molten metal, etc.) from a keg, furnace, or the like: to tap off slag from a blast furnace.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.