Pronunciation: (tāp), [key]
—n., v., taped, tap•ing.
1. a long, narrow strip of linen, cotton, or the like, used for tying garments, binding seams or carpets, etc.
2. a long, narrow strip of paper, metal, etc.
3. a strip of cloth, paper, or plastic with an adhesive surface, used for sealing, binding, or attaching items together; adhesive tape or masking tape.
4. See tape measure.
5. a string stretched across the finishing line in a race and broken by the winning contestant on crossing the line.
6. See ticker tape.
7. See magnetic tape.
8. a magnetic tape carrying prerecorded sound: a tape of a rock concert.
1. to furnish with a tape or tapes.
2. to tie up, bind, or attach with tape.
3. to measure with or as if with a tape measure.
4. to record or prerecord on magnetic tape.
to record something on magnetic tape.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.