Pronunciation: (tā'stur), [key]
1. a person who tastes, esp. one skilled in distinguishing the qualities of liquors, tea, etc., by the taste.
2. a container for taking samples or tasting.
3. a wide shallow cup, usually metal, for holding wine to be tasted, as by a professional taster.
4. a person employed or ordered to taste the food and drink prepared for a king, dictator, etc., to ascertain the presence of poison.
5. Genetics.a person able to taste phenylthiourea or some other test substance.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.