Pronunciation: (tä'tur), [key]
1. a member of a modern Turkic people living in the Tatar Autonomous Republic and adjacent regions of eastern European Russia and in widely scattered communities in western Siberia and central Asia.
2. the language of this people, including the literary language of the Tatar Autonomous Republic, the dialects of the Tatar Autonomous Republic and adjacent regions of the Volga basin (Volga Tatar), and numerous other dialects, some transitional to other Turkic languages.
3. See Crimean Tatar.
4. Tartar (defs. 1, 2, 4–6).
1. of or pertaining to the Tatars or their language.
2. Tartar (def. 7). Also,Tartar (for defs. 1–3, 5).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.